Canvas scanning overview
With Apple's LiDAR sensor, 3D scanning can be as easy as taking a video. The video below will outline our recommended scanning methods to help you get the best results each time.
LiDAR iPad and iPhone
- Start in a corner of the room with a lot of details (book shelf, picture frames, patterns)
- Stand 3-10ft away, aim the iPad at the detailed corner and tap Scan to start. Tip: Standing back can help Canvas keep better track of your position in the room.
- Move the iPad slowly up (or down) to the ceiling. You do not need to scan the entire ceiling or the entire floor.
- Take 1-2 steps to either side, and scan back down (or up) the wall to the floor
- As if you are spraying paint on the wall, continue with this pattern moving in one single direction
- Scan the perimeter walls until you are back at your starting point
- Tap Done to complete the scan
- Stand roughly in the middle of the room, or within 10ft of what you want to scan
- Tap Scan and when prompted, move side to side and then move the phone in circular motion. These steps are crucial for accurate scale.
- Use a “paint brush” motion to cover the on screen grid
- Move steadily and consistently in one direction
- Once prompted, follow on-screen dots to complete the scan
- Tap the stop button once loop closure completes
- The scan is finished but requires reprocessing before you can view