What device should I use with Canvas?
The Short Answer
Great news, Canvas no longer requires any additional hardware to scan!
Using Canvas requires an iOS device with an embedded LiDAR sensor, which include the following devices:
- iPhone 13 Pro: Starts at $999
- iPhone 13 Pro Max: Starts at $1,099
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (5th Generation): Starts at $1,099
- 11-inch iPad Pro (3rd Generation): Starts at $799
- iPhone 12 Pro: Released 2020
- iPhone 12 Pro Max: Released 2020
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (4th Generation): Released 2020
- 11-inch iPad Pro (2nd Generation): Released 2020
Canvas can also be used on certain iPhones without a LiDAR sensor in some circumstances, but with limitations on accuracy. You can learn more about using Canvas without LiDAR here: Can Canvas be used with an iPhone or iPad without LiDAR?
An internet connection is not required to scan (only to place orders), so WiFi vs. Cell is completely up to you and your workflow!
The base storage capacity for the iPad and iPhone Pros is 128GB which is usually more than enough storage for Canvas, but a higher capacity may be necessary depending on what else you store on the device.
Canvas is currently only compatible with iOS devices. If you would like to be notified about support for other devices (such as Android or Windows), please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
The Long Answer
Canvas requires a 3D sensor to be able to measure distances and create scale-accurate 3D models. The following iOS devices have the requisite 3D sensor (on iOS, called the "LiDAR sensor") built into the device:
- 11-inch iPad Pro 3rd Generation: Models A2377, A2459, A2301 (M1 Processor)
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro 5th Generation: Models A2378, A2461, A2379 (M1 Processor)
- 11-inch iPad Pro 2nd Generation: Models A2228, A2068, A2230, A2231 (A12Z Processor)
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro 4th Generation: Models A2229, A2069, A2233 (A12Z Processor)
- iPhone 13 Pro: Models A2483 (A15 Bionic chip)
- iPhone 13 Pro Max: A2484 (A15 Bionic chip)
- iPhone 12 Pro: Models A2341 (A14 Bionic Chip)
- iPhone 12 Pro Max: A2342 (A14 Bionic Chip)
These devices require no additional hardware and you can simply download Canvas and start scanning.
If you are comfortable with the limitations of using Canvas without LiDAR, Canvas can also be used to scan with an iPhone 8 or higher. We primarily recommend scanning on a device without a LiDAR sensor to try out Canvas before upgrading to a LiDAR-enabled device, or asking a client to scan their space for you during the early stages of the project.
If you already have a Structure Sensor and want to find out if your device is compatible, contact us at email@example.com
Find Your Model
To identify which iPad you have:
- Open "Settings"
- Tap "General"
- Then tap "About"
- Find "Model Number" and tap to reveal the model number starting with "A"
Your model number will look something like "A2341"
Storage refers to the amount of data your device can hold at one time. When using Canvas, it affects the number of scans or homes you can hold on the device at one time.
While the total storage footprint for a home can be all over the place, in our experience the average typically ranges from 500MB to 2GB. Since the operating system usually takes up 8-11GB (according to Apple's website), that means that if you have only 16GB of storage, in the worst case you might have only 5GB available for Canvas, which may correspond to only a few homes. If you had a 256GB iPad, you would be able to store several hundred homes.
Base model capacity is 128GB for iPad Pro and iPhone 12 Pro/Pro Max, and usually more than enough for Canvas alone, but generally speaking, this is very rarely a practical concern for our customers, unless you are using the device to store a lot of other photos, videos, or audio files that also take up space.