What units does Canvas measure in, and how can I change this?
The Short Answer
The Canvas app will show measurements in imperial units by default, but this can be changed in-app. The default units for the CAD files (.rvt, .skp, .plan, .kit, .dwg, or .dae) delivered will be in imperial, however, changing the units in-app will change the default units of your CAD file (this can also be changed using your CAD software as well).
If you are importing the .obj file of the scan into another 3D program, the default scale is meters. However, different 3D programs have different conventions for how they import .obj files, so you may need to adjust the import settings and/or contact the support team for that particular tool to ensure scale is maintained.
The Long Answer
Canvas will show measurements in imperial (feet and inches) units by default, but the in-app measurements can be easily converted to metric (meters and centimeters). Likewise, changing the units in-app will change your default CAD file units.
- In Canvas open the left-side menu
- Tap the gear icon to open the settings
- Tap your preferred unit
- Open Canvas and tap the gear icon to open settings
- Change "Units" to your preference
From Account Portal
- Log into your Canvas Account Portal at https://canvas.io
- Click "Settings" on your portal dashboard
- Click "Units" and select your preferred unit