Can I merge multiple scans to cover an entire property?
The Short Answer
Absolutely! Our Scan To CAD service can convert your 3D scans into editable, design-ready, and professional-grade CAD files that can then be merged into one global CAD model.
The Long Answer
Merge orders are $5 more per scan, as they require slightly more human verification and alignment, but you get to jump right to this:
This model took approximately 8 scans to cover, and was captured in roughly 20 minutes with an iPad Air 2. We find that the typical home requires about 10 scans on a typical iPad (with 2GB of RAM), but this varies widely in both directions.
Here are a few tips for scanning a whole house with Canvas:
- Do a walkthrough of the home first to "plan your scan". Open the doors between rooms, make sure the lights are on, and turn off any ceiling fans (as the fans can distort light). Small stuff, but easy to forget until you're in the room and have already started the scan, and then you might have to do it over again.
- Make sure to scan through connecting areas like doorways at some point. For example, when you scan the bedroom, scan a little bit into the hallway so that it's clear how they connect. Just a few seconds of scanning the adjacent room is fine.
- Make sure to cover all the intermediate areas between rooms that connect your scans. Sometimes first-time users forget to scan a hallway or entryway, and then you'll end up with two models of separate wings of the house instead of one.
- Not strictly necessary, but it's generally better if you also capture closet hallways and pantries while you're scanning the adjacent rooms because closet depth can have an impact on how the different rooms fit together. It's usually no big deal, but in weird houses, it can make a difference.
- If you are scanning a really large, open room that is too big to fit in one scan, don't be afraid to break it into multiple. When breaking a room into multiple scans, just make sure your start and end points between scans overlap, and we will be able to merge them together.
After submitting a merged Scan To CAD order, we will send back the CAD files individually as they become available — followed by the global merged model as soon as it is complete (within an estimated 3 business days).
You can see more homes we have scanned, including the square footage and number of scans, in our sample data package.
Note: You are still 100% able to merge the CAD models for each scan individually, if you desire. This takes more time, but if you are CAD-savvy and would rather spend more time than money, that option is always yours.