How do I upload my scans for reprocessing or Scan To CAD?
The Short Answer
Once a scan is complete, it can be uploaded for cloud reprocessing or conversion into a CAD file using our Scan To CAD service. These options are both easily available from the Canvas app.
The instructions below show the UI for the Canvas iPad app, but the steps for Canvas for iPhone are similar, with the exception that Canvas for iPhone can reprocess scans on-device. You can learn more about the differences between Canvas for iPhone and iPad here.
To upload a reprocessing or Scan To CAD order:
1. Tap Scan To CAD while viewing the scan
2. Select output and check if you'd like to merge two or more scans to create a global CAD file
3. Confirm your email address (defaults to your account email)
4. Confirm payment method (defaults to your saved payment method)
5. Receive your CAD files within 2-3 business days
For a step-by-step guide to submitting an order, read on!
The Long Answer
Place an order with your iPad
Step 1: From the Home view, tap “Scan To CAD” in the top right corner (this option is available from within the scan view as well)
Step 2: Select the scans you wish to upload
Step 3: Select your output type
You can learn more about the various file formats (and compatible programs) available from Scan To CAD here.
Step 4: Confirm if you want us to merge the files
You can read more about merging scans here.
Step 5: Select priority or add a promo code
Normal Priority: Your files should be delivered within an estimated 2 business days for single scans, or 3 business days for a merged order.
Rush: For an additional 20% surcharge, we can prioritize your Scan To CAD at the top of the queue. Many orders will be delivered next-day, but your rush fee will be refunded if it is not delivered within 48 hours.
Step 6: Confirm square foot and pricing estimates
Using the data in your scan, Canvas will estimate the total square foot area of the scans and provide a pricing estimate as a range to account for potential overlap or error, but the final price (as determined by total area) will be within this range. Your card will have a hold placed for the maximum of the range, so if the total area is less than estimated, the card will be charged the respective amount. You will not be charged more than the maximum.
Step 7: Confirm payment method
If you have a Canvas account, you’ll see your default payment method. Otherwise, enter your credit card information.
Step 7: Upload your files
Leave Canvas open for several minutes to allow the scans to fully upload (you can still use Canvas). You’ll receive an email once the upload is complete.
Step 8: Check your upload and/or order status
You can check to see if your scans have completed uploading, as well as your overall order estimate delivery date, from within My Orders.
Step 9: Receive your files within 2-3 business days!
Place an order with your iPhone
- From home screen, find the scan thumbnail and tap the 3 dots under the thumbnail
- Select "Scan To CAD" (you can also open the scan and tap "CAD" at the bottom)
- Select your preferred output
- Confirm order details (such as email, payment method, total, promo code, etc.)
- Scan will begin to upload. Do not close the app while upload is in progress.
How do I place a merge order with iPhone?
Currently, placing an order in-app with an iPhone is limited to 1 scan per order, however, you can upload your scans and place a merged order through your Canvas Account Portal with the following instructions below:
- From the home screen, find the scan and tap the 3 dots under the thumbnail
- Tap "Share" - This function is used to share your scan with the Canvas Web Viewer, but will also serve to upload the scan to our servers.
- Repeat for all scans you want to merge
- log in to your account portal and navigate to “Uploaded Scans”
- Click on the home that contains the scans you want to order (you can also click the “Home” hyperlink in the Order History view) - currently all iPhone scans will be under "Home"
- Click "Scan To CAD"
- Select the scans, and proceed through checkout
If you have any questions or spot any issues in your results, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on what gets included and excluded in your final CAD model please check out this article: What details are included with my CAD file?.
Common Order Questions
Can I merge a new order with an existing order?
We can usually merge a current order with a past order without issue. Simply reach out to us at email@example.com with the order IDs you want merged, and we’ll follow up with next steps.
Can I submit my scans to be processed for a different output than my original order?
If you’re interested in re-ordering your scans as another output (for example, you ordered the 2D floor plans, but you now want 3D SketchUp files too), we can do that for you. Simply contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the order ID(s) and requested output, and we'll let you know about any additional add-on fees or steps required.