I just need a 2D floor plan. Do you produce floor plans?
The Short Answer
Scan To CAD is a semi-automated service that converts your 3D scans into editable, design-ready, and professional-grade CAD files for various outputs. 2D Floor Plans are available as a direct output, but you can also create 2D floor plans from either Scan To CAD's other 3D output formats or from the 3D scan itself.
The Long Answer
Scan To CAD can produce the following possible output bundles:
- SketchUp (3D model): Includes .skp, .dwg, and .dae (all in 3D)
- Revit (3D model): Includes .rvt, .dwg, and .ifc (all in 3D)
- 2D Floor Plan (2D drawing): Includes .pdf, .skp, and .dwg (all in 2D)
The easiest way to generate a 2D model is by choosing the 2D floor plan option when checking out for your Scan To CAD order, which you can see below:
Please note that 2D floor plan orders do not by default include any 3D information and 3D outputs do not include 2D floor plans. If you would like to get a 3D model and a 2D floor plan for an order, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Merges are $5 extra per scan, regardless of your file format.
Here is an example of what a typical 2D floor plan looks like:
You can download several sample 2D floor plan PDFs and the associated CAD files here.
If you already have a 3D CAD file (or from the scan itself), you can generate 2D floor plans on your own, outlined below:
1. Open the .skp file in SketchUp.
2. Go to Camera --> Standard Views --> Top
3. Go to Camera --> check "Parallel Projection" instead of Perspective
4. Go to Tools --> Dimensions, and then touch the points for which you want measurements displayed. Repeat until you have annotated all the important measurements.
5. Take a screenshot, or export as a 2D graphic.
1. Open the .rvt file in Revit
2. Go to Project Browser and expand the Views tab
3. Expand the Floor Plan section under Views
4. Double click on the floor plan level you want to display
1. Open the .dwg file in AutoCAD.
2. Hit the top-down button in the top right corner.
3. Annotate the dimensions you need (there are multiple ways to do this in AutoCAD)
4. Go to File --> Export and save the drawing as a PDF.
Using the scan in the Canvas app
1. Open the Canvas app on your iPad or iPhone.
2. Open the scan of the space for which you are looking to generate a floor plan.
3. Extract the measurements one by one that are important for your floor plan.
4. Draw the plan using the tool of your choice manually.
Since measuring precise points on the 3D mesh can sometimes be difficult, we try to help speed up certain measurements. If you touch two opposing walls, the measure tool will "snap" to the straight, perpendicular distance between those two walls even if you didn't touch the exact right points. If you touch anywhere on the floor and then anywhere on the ceiling, the same thing will happen. For more complicated measurements, you can always use the normal point to point measurement feature.
You can learn more about Scan To CAD's compatibility with various architecture and design programs in general here: What file formats and programs does Scan To CAD export?