How does Scan To CAD pricing work?
The Short Version
All Scan To CAD orders are priced per square foot (sqft) and follow a basic pricing structure of:
3D CAD = $0.15/sqft - $20 minimum per order
- SketchUp Includes: 3D .skp, 3D .dwg and 3D .dae
- Revit Includes: 3D .rvt, 3D.ifc, and 3D .dwg
- Chief Architect Includes: 3D .plan, 3D .dwg, and 3D .dae
- 2020 Design Live Includes: 3D .kit, 3D .dwg, and 3D .dae
2D floor plans = $0.10/sqft - $10 per order
- 2D Drawings Includes: 2D .pdf
- 2D AutoCAD includes 2D .dwg, and 2D .rvt
Square footage is calculated by floor to reflect all processed geometry. Orders with multiple scans will not double-charge overlapping areas. This means that if you scan a ground floor of 2,000 square feet and a second story of 1,000 square feet, the total square feet charged will be 3,000 square feet.
Order process summary:
- Canvas providing an estimated price range using the estimated area of each scan
- A hold placed on your card for the range maximum
- Once complete, you will be billed for the final total area.
Reprocess Only orders (which add color and create a shareable web link) are $3 per scan, and you can learn more about cloud reprocessing here. Scanning and using the scan in-app is 100% free.
Scan To CAD pricing is not designed for exteriors. If you are submitting exteriors, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for an updated price.
The Long Version
When you place a Scan To CAD order in-app, each scan will have an estimated area and an associated estimated price provided as a range.
The square footage estimate under each scan is the Canvas app’s best estimation of the square footage of that scan. Unfortunately, it is not possible to calculate this from the scan accurately 100% automatically, as some areas may be duplicated between scans, not included in the final CAD model, or many other factors. We therefore give you a range of what we expect the cost could be per scan, but state our best estimate both per scan and for the entire order.
After placing an order:
- A hold will be placed for the maximum of the estimated cost range and you will not be billed right away. While the estimate will technically double-count overlapping areas, you will not be double-charged for overlapping areas.
- The order summary and confirmation email will provide the middle of the estimated range - This is not the final cost but an estimate.
- Once the order is complete, the area of each floor will be calculated and added up and priced according to the output requested.
- You will be charged for the adjusted area and the hold will be removed. For example, if you have an estimated range of 200-400sqft, and the total area is actually 302, the final billed amount is for 302sqft.
We hold the maximum only because we can not charge you more than the amount of the hold, and the estimate may vary up or down from the final price. This prevents us from having to reach out to you again for a final balance, and therefore slow down your order.
To emphasize, you will not be charged the full held amount unless we actually process the associated square footage. You will only be charged for what is actually processed.
If for some reason the estimate is very low and we can not process the order for the amount held, we will reach out to explain the situation and request your permission to charge a higher amount. We will never charge more than the maximum hold without your permission — in fact, we can’t!
Square Meter Pricing
Yes. Simply go to Settings within your online account portal or the Canvas app and change your units to metric. Your pricing will automatically be converted for new orders, but your invoices and order summaries for old orders will not be affected.
- $1.50 per square meter for all 3D output formats, with a $20 minimum per scan.
- $1.00 per square meter for our 2D floor plans, with a $10 minimum per scan.
Per Scan Minimums
A minimum cost per scan ($10 for 2D, $20 for 3D) applies, as there is a certain baseline cost to process your scan regardless of size. These minimums are intended purely to ensure we can continue providing Scan To CAD for small spaces, and they are even lower than our previous per-scan pricing for both 3D and 2D outputs, which used to be $29 or $39 (depending on the format) and $15 respectively.
As a reminder, you can expect most measurements in your final Scan To CAD result to be within 1-2% of what’s verified manually with a laser distance meter, measuring tape, or existing blueprint. You can read more about accuracy here.
This means that you may find slight differences between the actual square footage of the space and the CAD model generated. This is normal due to the nature of the above tolerances, but if you find a greater than 2% discrepancy, you can request a price review by emailing email@example.com.
Scan To CAD Exterior Pricing
While Canvas and Scan To CAD are optimized for scanning interior spaces, they are capable of scanning exteriors with some caveats.
- Orders including both interior and exterior scans = additional $0.05 per square foot
- Orders including only exteriors scans = subtract $0.05 per square foot
Since Canvas cannot automatically detect exteriors from interiors, if you are submitting exterior scans only, the app will likely charge you more than this by default, and you will need to request a refund after processing is completed. If you are submitting a set of both interior and exterior scans, the app will not include the extra $0.05 per sqft, and our team will likely need to follow-up with you for additional payment.
Due to the limitations of scanning outdoors, you may also find that Scan To CAD results including exterior scans are more frequently outside of our expected accuracy tolerances.